Running your own pub can be a very rewarding experience. It can also be very challenging. For a bar to be successful, it has to go way beyond keeping customers’ glasses full. You need to ensure that you’re well stocked, have a great atmosphere, are creating events to attract new and existing customers and have the right pub insurance to protect yourself with from any potential liabilities.

There was a case in 2009. A woman slipped and fell in a Gastro Pub in London. This turned into a massive legal case where the customer sued the pub owners for a whopping £4.2million.

What does this case mean for you as a Pub Owner?

This event demonstrates that one of the most important things for you and your business is to ensure that you’re protected. Pub Insurance is as essential as clean drinks glasses. You need to be protected against potential incidents, real or otherwise. If you don’t, you could find yourself in the middle of a huge legal case and liable for large sums of money.

Does your business have what it needs?

As a pub owner, it is imperative that you have Public Liability insurance. This will protect your business in the even that a customer injures themselves at your pub caused by your negligence.

The Cambridge bar with insurance

Get the correct cover for your pub

Another important aspect to consider is that you have the correct bar insurance for your type of pub. Gone are the days where every licensed venue was a traditional pub. Today there are classic pubs, gastro pubs, pubs with live music, family pubs with play areas, restaurant pubs and many more.

To ensure that you’re fully covered, you must have the right Public Liability Insurance.

Here’s are some tips to remember

  1. Standard home insurance will not cover an unoccupied property.
    If you’re not living in the property or the property is vacant for more than 30 days, insurers will count it as ‘unoccupied’. To ensure that you’re adequately covered should anything happen, you will need unoccupied property insurance. It’s possible to get 3, 6, 9 or 12-month’s cover, depending on your unique situation.
  2. The risk for insurers is higher
    As you won’t be living in the property, you won’t be there to see to any of the problems that may arise. The boiler could burst and flood the house. Someone could also accidentally drive through your front wall. Your insurer will take all of these aspects into account.
  3. You will need to check the property
    For your insurance to be valid, you will need to check on the property every 7 – 14 days.
  4. You will need to have security measures in place
    Your insurer will request that the property have adequate security measures in place. This will help guard against illegal entry or burglars looking for an easy target.
  5. Don’t forget to turn the gas and electricity off
    As the property will be unoccupied, you must ensure that the gas and electricity are turned off at the mains. An exception would be if you need to maintain heating.
  6. There are three levels of unoccupied property insurance
    Like most types of insurance, you can buy different levels of cover depending on what you require.  Titan Insurance offers 3 levels of Unoccupied Building Insurance.  All of them insure up to £2 000 000 Property Owners Liability. This covers you if any accidents or loss happens to a third party such as a person or property eg., like the property next door.

Call Titan Insurance today and speak to one of our experts. With over 30 years’ experience in Pub Insurance, our team has the knowledge, expertise and industry relationships to give you the policies that meet your specific needs.

Give us a call on 0207 731 3700 or drop us an email.